Thelonious Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    7.20.2008

    ROCK THE BELLS

    Alright to start off Rock The Bells re-established my love for Hip-Hop
    Me and dad were running a little late so we missed
    Cool Kids, Wale, and Kid Sister
    But as important they are
    They were minor today
    MF Doom was finishing his set as me and dad were finding our seats
    By the time we got situated
    And said our hellos, and dropped a special one to our homie Phil
    Phil does the sound for Tribe and used to do sound for Common
    Personally I think he has one of the coolest jobs around
    But we find our seats and Murs is getting into his set
    His DJ was messing him up and Murs had to do his whole performance off one turntable
    Kidz In The Hall came out during his set and performed "Drivin down the Block"
    Murs did alright even though his DJ basically sabotaged him
    In between acts guess who was hosting?
    Supernatural
    Along with him Scratch who is ridiculous
    Supernatural who holds the record for longest freestyle
    Proceeded with a crowd requested freestyle
    He asked for a topic
    The crowd chanted "Chicago Love"
    And without question or hesitation
    He started to rip it
    People were throwing stuff on stage
    He used that stuff like props seamlessly incorporating them into his rhyme
    Dude was shortly put amazing
    Not a bad host either
    Next Dead Prez came and educated son
    It was mind blowing to see them in person
    And to hear them speak
    It didn't feel like they were rapping but teaching
    And I mean that in a good way
    The way this gargantuan crowd of all people reacted was leaving me in aw
    So many people with love for Hip Hop
    Keeping it political Immortal Technique came on next
    I've heard people put him in high praises
    But now I have the utmost respect for dude
    He can straight spit and just the way he commanded the stage was ridiculous
    Also his DJ killed a little 5 minute set of scratching, I was in aw once again
    After that and the smoke cleared
    Kid Capri crept up onto the 1's and 2's
    And proceeded to show why he is one of if not the best DJ's around
    Rakim's set may have been short
    But it was dope
    He even showcased some new stuff
    And I'm biting my nails till the release date
    Next Oh My God son
    Method Man and Redman
    Unbelievable 
    First off, they're are one of hip-hop best pairings of MC's
    Then the way the perform
    We got Red throwing water on people
    Mef climbing on stuff throwing water, beer, and peoples hats
    Just the way they gave energy 
    Like they said to us "The energy yall give us, we'll give you"
    And we must've out of control
    Method Man walked on the peoples hands
    They were like rock stars
    Crowd surfing
    Amazing
    Next was Mos Def
    And me and my dad are still mad about this
    His set was short
    Yet for the time he was on stage
    The Boogie Man aka Black Dante
    Tore down the roof off
    I'm on my feet going nuts
    Looking at my dad
    He looks back
    Without a word we both nod
    This is Hip-Hop
    We both yell
    BROOKLYN SON!
    Mos begged the guy in charge to let him do one more song
    And guess what he closes with
    Umi Says
    That was a perfect segway for the next group
    De La Soul
    The way they gave energy that was so, and yes pun intended, "soulful"
    Was incredible
    The vibes from the stage was amazing
    I'm really running out of synonyms for "great"
    When they dropped the beat for "Potholes in my Lawn"
    Crowd went bananas
    Next I was able to witness history
    Pharcyde
    Performing for the first time in eleven years
    I'll be short on this
    Because the whole time I was at a loss for words
    Just to let you know
    When they broke into "What's up Fatlip"
    And started playing "Passing me by"
    I was slack jawed
    Nas
    Nas
    NaS
    I had to type it three times
    Man to see my favorite rapper
    Touch the mic blew my mind
    He dropped some new stuff
    Off the Nigger Album (Yeah it's titled that)
    But when he broke into a Illmatic set I lost it for real
    His set was brief but it was satisfying 
    Lastly when The Abstract came on
    Ridiculousness
    He performed some of his personal work outside of Tribe
    And performed some new stuff
    Instant classic moment
    Then he finished a song and ran off to the side
    Lights went out
    I'm turning to my dad like
    WTF
    Then in like a minute the lights came back on
    And along with Q-Tip was Phife
    I'm so overwhelmed with this moment I couldn't speak
    They ripped it something amazing
    The show was finished the way it was supposed to
    Wow I'm just now cleaning my ears out
    Plus me and dad had GREAT SEATS
    Like right next to the VIP section where Method Man was walking on people and throwing water on them
    Alright here's some more things
    Look it's me and my pops
    And just look at the mere number off people
    You lucky we didn't turn around 
    By like Mos Def set you couldn't see a person sitting down
    Oh my goodness
    This truly was a historic day for my most favorite thing in the world
    HIP-HOP
    I wanna thank all the artist that were out there
    And my pops for hooking this up
    This was the best father son thing we've done in a while
    I love him a lot
    Not just for this concert
    But in general
    He is the best
    It was one of the best days of my life

    The Brain's bells were ROCKED

    No comments: