Thelonious Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    12.20.2008

    What Is Music To Me

    The title sounds like some third grade shit
    But I need to get some stuff off my chest when it comes to music
    When I was little
    Mom worked two jobs (shoot, she still do)
    I had got a boombox at like my ninth christmas
    It was cool
    I get to jam out whenever
    No more waiting for mom to crank the radio
    Man when I was little 
    I used to sing to every song on the radio
    It was type crazy
    I used to get in trouble for beatboxing when I was little
    My mom said stop making sound effects
    But I anywho
    All I had when moms duke wasn't home (and like I said she worked two jobs)
    I bumped to the radio
    Now when I say bumped
    I mean listened to
    Nodded my head
    Jumped around the house for hours to
    All day long
    I did my homework to music
    I became consumed in music
    I met Matt in sixth grade
    We were doing this multi-media project
    And he played these beats I was like
    Hey these are cool
    He told me he made em
    I didn't believe him at first
    I chilled with homie at the crib (the first of many)
    I told dude I rap
    We started a small rap crew called Voice Of Reason
    Hence the birth of my musical involvement seriously
    All throughout middle school
    It was on and off 
    I really didn't stick to it until I finally realized
    I should take it into my own hands
    I begged and pleaded for moms duke to get a Mac Laptop
    So it started
    About May of this year
    Got the laptop
    Started off in Garageband
    Making beats with loops and shit
    Then I slowly progressed
    Using samples and finding new loops
    It continued and I elevated myself to a new level
    It got to the point where all I think of is music
    So I talked to Mr. Frye (one of the coolest teachers I've ever met)
    About starting this Musical Recording Club
    An environment where we could record and make music
    Hence the making of I Am The Walrus and Black Magic
    Things are a little advanced now from when I first started
    I play all my parts in the beats no loops
    So any drum pattern or bassline or whatever
    It's me
    I'm sampling ridiculous now
    Like Mr. Frye had a M-Audio Axiom-25 just sitting around and now
    I'm borrowing it day to day
    It's my baby now
    Basically this is my musical bio so far
    I'm looking at colleges for degrees in musical recording
    I truly love this shit (to be ignorant and passionate about it)
    Like I'll say it now
    My family and personal life have some pretty messed aspects
    As a product of a single mother home
    Music is my escape
    It's what I play to get away 
    I don't smoke or drink
    But I'm blasted and high off of music
    As corny as it sounds
    I'm not going to rehab 
    Like it's the only thing I truly react to
    Everything else now a days is over saturated
    With lies, deceit, and hatred
    But music doesn't lie to me
    It has it's own pattern and bass lines hum to me
    It speaks a certain way that only me and music can understand
    But really music is what I love
    I am music
    And I love myself
    So as I love myself
    I'll keep doing this music
    Because there will always be a reason
    For me to clear my head

    No comments: