Thelonious Twitter

    follow me on Twitter

    7.22.2008

    Love On Wax (Scene 3)

    Last scene ends with Quincy going to work on a Ramsey Lewis sample
    He explains in the scene how it's time for him to pack his vinyls
    The last scene ends on a thursday, he leaves on Sunday.
    Our scene today picks up Sunday morning, Q's bags are packed and he has taken his first vinyl off the wall.
    And this is where the scene starts
    (Quincy takes the last vinyl off the shelf, and stares in amazement)
    "Wow, the first one. My first vinyl, this is what started it, a dollar for a record back when I was little. I brought this home and dad bugged out. He told me...
    (Flashback to when Quincy was 7, and his dad grabbing the record when Q, stepped through the door)
    "Boy this record older then you, what you know about James Brown."
    (Quincy replies scared)
    "I liked it when I heard it at the shop, the music spoke to me."
    (Miles looks back in amazement)
    "Just like your mother, talking about "The music is talking to me." Both you guys are crazy, but go ahead keep buying records."
    (Comes back to Q, putting the record away in the car, Miles is taking Q the last of his stuff, and Miles says to him aloud)
    "Funky Drummer, that was the first one, that record always played when you did your homework. That was your way of telling me you were doing your work. Do you still want your first turntable? It's a technics, I mean it's a little dusty, it's still hooked up to the mixer too."
    (Miles points to it, on the coffee table, right next to the picture of Q's mother. Quincy turns and says.)
    "Mom would want me too leave it, play the record she had for me the day I was born. Dad are you going to be okay with me leaving?"
    (Miles chuckles)
    "Boy, I wouldn't be okay if you didn't leave, get out of this house, see the country. There is so much more then the southside of Chicago. I need you to do this for not me but for your mom. Did I tell you what she was going to be after she had you? 
    (Quincy shakes his head no, but in his mind he already knows the answer, he turns like he is grabbing something out of the car, and mouthes the words as his father continues)
    "A flight attendant, she was going to take you all around the world Q, but now you have the chance to make that dream come true. Alright it seems like we're all packed here, do you have enough vinyls?"
    (Miles is laughing pointing to the backseat, which is filled with crates, from the car floor up, there was little glimpse to the back window. Quincy laughs, just like his father.)
    "I think so I mean there's no room in the trunk, that's filled with well more crates, and sneakers."
    (Both father and son laugh and then there is a pause. Quincy breaks the silence)
    "I guess pops, this is goodbye for now, I'm definitely coming back for holidays, I know Auntie cooking, and make sure you tell Granny and Big Pops I love them."
    (Q, is teary eyed, and now turns to his father. Miles looks back, two men so close yet so far. The father and son embrace each other. As they let go, James Brown's Funky Drummer plays. Q opens the car door and looks back, Miles nods and Q looks with a sense of accomplishment. Knowing his journey has only begun, and the screen fades to black.)



    The Brain says 1..2..3.. and we go

    No comments: